D&C 10:67-68"Repent" means "to think differently, to reconsider, to change your mind," while "sin" means "to miss the mark." We know from John that "sin is the transgression of the law," therefore we know that "the mark" is the law of God, and we know that the law is Jesus, as he said:
Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church. Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me; therefore he is not of my church.
3 Nephi 14:12 Therefore, all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them, for this is the law and the prophets.
3 Nephi 15:9-10Therefore, "repent" means to freely and voluntarily bring your mind and behavior into conformity with the law and commandments of Christ. If you want to enter his covenant and be his church, you must keep Jesus’s commandments if you know them.
Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life. Behold, I have given unto you the commandments; therefore keep my commandments. And this is the law and the prophets, for they truly testified of me.
These are the commandments of Jesus Christ (those put forth in parable are omitted).
- Love your enemies (Luke 6:27, Luke 6:35, Matthew 5:44).
- Do good to those that hate you (Luke 6:27, Matthew 5:44).
- Bless those that curse you (Luke 6:28, Matthew 5:44).
- Pray for those which spitefully use you and persecute you (Luke 6:28, Matthew 5:44).
- If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn the other to him also (Luke 6:29, Matthew 5:39).
- If someone takes away your cloak, do not tell him he cannot also take your coat (Luke 6:29).
- If someone sues you at law and takes away your coat, let him have your cloak also (Matthew 5:40).
- Give to every man that asks (Luke 6:30, Matthew 5:42).
- Do not ask for your stuff back from whomever takes it (Luke 6:30).
- Every last thing you wish people would do to you, do exactly those things to others (Luke 6:31, Matthew 7:12).
- Do good (Luke 6:35).
- Lend to all, hoping that you don't get paid back (Luke 6:35, Matthew 5:42) and don't ask to be paid back (Luke 6:30).
- Be as merciful as God is (Luke 6:36).
- Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect (Matthew 5:48).
- Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16).
- If you bring a gift to God to the altar of prayer and remember your brother has something against you, leave the gift, go and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift (Matthew 5:23-24).
- Placate your opponent swiftly while you are in conflict with him (Matthew 5:25-26).
- Neither anger nor despising nor reviling nor contention nor lust shall we allow to enter our heart. This is how we take up our cross (3 Nephi 12:29-30).
- Do not swear upon anything to enhance your credibility, but let your words be "yes, yes," or "no, no" (Matthew 5:33-37).
- Do not resist evil - do not fight back, do not defend yourself (Matthew 5:39).
- If anyone forces you to go a mile, go with him two miles (Matthew 5:41).
- Do not do your alms for the purpose of others knowing you give alms (Matthew 6:1).
- Do not do your alms for the purpose of getting people to think better of you (Matthew 6:2).
- Keep your almsgiving a secret (Matthew 6:3-4).
- Do not pray for the purpose of others seeing you pray (Matthew 6:5).
- Pray in your closed closet in secret where nobody can see you (Matthew 6:6).
- When you pray do not use empty repetitions, as is practiced in some Eastern religions (Matthew 6:7).
- Pray according to this pattern: Our Father in heaven, may your name be hallowed; may your kingdom arrive, may your will be done on earth like it is done in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts to you just like we forgive our own debtors' debts to us. And do not lead us into temptation, but rescue us from evil, for the kingdom and the power and the glory is yours forever. Amen (Matthew 6:9-13; Luke 11:2-4).
- When you fast do not make a public show about it so that people know you are fasting (Matthew 6:16).
- When you fast anoint your head and wash your face so that nobody knows you are fasting (Matthew 6:17-18).
- Do not store up for yourself in this world goods, nor clothes, nor food, nor money, nor any other resource which can be corrupted or stolen (Matthew 6:19).
- Give your goods or clothes or food or money or other corruptible or steal-able resources that you possess more than your actual needs to those who have need of them (Matthew 6:20-21).
- Do not concern yourself at all about what you shall eat, or what you shall drink (Matthew 6:25, 31).
- Do not concern yourself at all about your body, such as what clothes you will wear (Matthew 6:25, 31).
- Work for the kingdom of God, and for his righteousness, above all other considerations - that is, do and teach these commandments as your first concern - and food, drink, and clothing shall be given to you with no effort on your own part (Matthew 6:33).
- Don't think about - do not plan for - tomorrow (Matthew 6:34).
- Do not judge nor condemn, so that you will not be judged nor condemned (Matthew 7:1, Luke 6:37).
- Forgive and you will be forgiven (Luke 6:37, Matthew 6:14).
- Give and more will be given to you by people (Luke 6:38).
- The same standard of judgement by which you judge how much you give to others shall be used to measure out what is given to you (Luke 6:38, Matthew 7:2)
- Beware of false prophets (Matthew 7:15-20, Luke 6:43-45).
- You do not get into the kingdom of God, and neither do you know him, without doing these things (Matthew 7:21-23).
- If you do these things you build on his rock (Matthew 7:24-25, Luke 6:47-48).
- If you do not do these things you do not build upon his rock (Matthew 7:26-27, Luke 6:49).
2 Nephi 30:1-2And if you elect to not repent and keep his commandments, since you now know them, then you are not of his church, but you are of the whore of all the earth.
For behold, except ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall all likewise perish; and because of the words which have been spoken ye need not suppose that the Gentiles are utterly destroyed. For behold, I say unto you that as many of the Gentiles as will repent are the covenant people of the Lord; and as many of the Jews as will not repent shall be cast off; for the Lord covenanteth with none save it be with them that repent and believe in his Son, who is the Holy One of Israel.
1 Nephi 14:10 And he said unto me: Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth.A whore only wants you around as long as she’s profiting from you, and as long as she is profiting from you, she pretends to love you, but inwardly she despises you. As soon as she stops profiting from your presence she wants you gone. So also are they who are of her.
Ezekiel 33:31 They love with their mouths, but their hearts follow the profits.