Monday, September 4, 2017

A Confession to My Readers

Yesterday, September 3, 2017, in Boise, when the covenant was read and we were asked to stand and say “yes” if we were willing to accept it, I was already standing due to lack of seating, and I said “yes” when I should not have said anything at all.

I should not have said anything at all because I cannot answer question 1 in the affirmative in truth and holiness.  I thought I could truthfully answer “yes” without requiring revelation form God on the matter based on reasoning which lacks foundation in truth.  I reasoned to myself that because the covenant document explicitly invites to do good, and to persuade to believe in Christ, therefore I did know with a perfect knowledge that it was from God.  This reasoning misapplies Moroni 7:16.

A previous post, “Judging the Covenant,” is truthful, but I personally did not give sufficient weight to the word “may,” as in “ye may know with a perfect knowledge it is of God,” which I rendered as “have power to,” following the 1828 Webster’s Dictionary - it can also be rendered “are permitted to.”

Just because I may know with a perfect knowledge that the covenant document is of God does not mean I do know with a perfect knowledge that the covenant document is of God.  Moroni 7:16 seems to be giving guidance on what things we are encouraged to inquire of the Lord about.  And God did not answer me when I prayed about it.  “No answer” is not “yes,” and it is also not “no.”  It is just no answer.  Therefore, I presently do not know the covenant document to come from God.  Therefore I had no foundation of truth - no surety of knowledge, and no confidence.  Therefore I should have said nothing.

Therefore, I confess before men, angels, and God, that I did say “yes” when I should have said nothing.  I do not know how else to repent of this except to say that to those who have entered into the covenant provided through Denver Snuffer, they should consider me as not being part of that covenant.  I failed in a test of personal integrity pertaining to question 1.  I lied by saying “yes.”  I repent me of this lie by making the truth known.

This applies to me only.  I make no representation about whether or not others were indeed answered of God.  I make no representation about whether the covenant document is, or is not, from God.

I have a second sin to confess.  There is an innocent man who did not say “yes” to the covenant, having not received confirmation from God concerning it, and whom I derided for not following my own corrupt and false reasoning.  In deriding him, I engaged in the same pattern of behavior displayed by those who occupy the great and spacious building in 1 Nephi 8, for the same reason: mockery / scorn / derision is a way of manipulating others into agreement when you are unable to persuade from a foundation of truth.

Thus in deriding him I demonstrated my pride and my lack of foundation in truth.  He was right and I was wrong.  He passed the test of personal integrity where I failed.