Saturday, June 4, 2016

Blinded by the Subtle Craftiness of Men

Once upon a time, someone pointed out to me that Christ didn't visit Bountiful until almost a year had passed since the Crucifixion. I was surprised, so I looked it up, and lo and behold, that's what the book says. But why was I surprised? Why did I think Christ came to the Nephites immediately after the Crucifixion?

It's because that's what I was taught at Church. And when I read the Book of Mormon, the details that contradicted what I was taught at Church simply slid past my eyes unseen - they didn't register - with the narrative I was taught at Church substituted for them in my mind. Until someone pointed the discrepancy out.

What we are taught at Church - and it seems nigh unto universal, independent of sect - is that Jesus didn't mean what he said; Jesus was something of a huckster, you see, who was giving us sentimental ideals, not literal instructions. When he said "give to every man who asketh thee," what he meant was merely "be generous." When he said "all things whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, do ye even so unto them," what he meant was merely "be kind." And when Jesus said that unless a man hates his life and everything in it, he can't be Jesus's disciple, what he meant was... well, literally anything but that.

Thus even when they cite the teachings of Jesus, purporting to teach them, they pervert his ways, dishonor his commandments, substitute other commandments in their place supplemented with additional precepts not from God, and lead us astray while they blind us to the truth.

So, when the veil of ignorance is drawn aside from your minds, and you see clearly what Christ actually said to do - which is the primary purpose of this blog - then you have a choice: do you do it?