Saturday, April 2, 2016

Repeated Three Times.

JST Matthew 6
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasure upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

JST Luke 12
36 This he spake unto his disciples, saying, Sell that ye have and give alms; provide not for yourselves bags which wax old, but rather provide a treasure in the heavens, that faileth not; where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.
37 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

3 Nephi 13
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal;
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Repeated three times.

Treasures upon earth, or bags which wax old, means the stuff of this world: houses, savings accounts, 401Ks, toys, vacation supplies, year's supply of food, year's supply of money, investment portfolios, retirement funds, and the like - mammon, in a word - temporal things which give us confidence, which make us feel independent.

Look again at JST Luke 12 above; how do we exchange our treasures upon earth for treasure in heaven?

JST Mark 10
15 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
16 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good but one, that is God.
17 Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery; Do not kill; Do not steal; Do not bear false witness; Defraud not; Honor thy father and mother.
18 And the man answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
19 Then Jesus beholding him, loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest;
20 Go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
21 And the man was sad at that saying, and went away grieved; for he had great possessions.
22 And Jesus looked round about, and said unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of my Father!
23 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus spake again and said unto them, Children, how hard is it for them who trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
24 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
25 And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved?
26 And Jesus, looking upon them, said, With men that trust in riches, it is impossible; but not impossible with men who trust in God and leave all for my sake, for with such all these things are possible.
27 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.
28 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake and the gospel's,
29 But he shall receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come, eternal life.
30 But there are many who make themselves first, that shall be last, and the last first.
31 This he said, rebuking Peter; and they were in the way going up to Jerusalem; and Jesus went before, and they were amazed; and as they followed, they were afraid.

The key was verse 20: by selling what we have and distributing the proceeds to the poor, we exchange our treasures upon earth for treasure in heaven; the poor are the exchangers.

Verse 26 recalls this to mind.

JST Luke 14
25 And when he had finished these sayings, he departed thence, and there went great multitudes with him, and he turned and said unto them,
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, or husband, yea and his own life also; or in other words, is afraid to lay down his life for my sake, cannot be my disciple.
27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
28 Therefore, settle this in your hearts, that ye will do the things which I shall teach, and command you.
29 For which of you intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have money to finish his work?
30 Lest, unhappily, after he has laid the foundation and is not able to finish his work, all who behold, begin to mock him,
31 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. And this he said, signifying there should not any man follow him, unless he was able to continue; saying,
32 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand, to meet him who cometh against him with twenty thousand.
33 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an embassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
34 So likewise, whosoever of you forsaketh not all that he hath he cannot be my disciple.

Back to the account of the rich ruler.

JST Luke 18
18 And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? None is good, save one, that is, God.
20 Thou knowest the commandments; Do not commit adultery. Do not kill. Do not steal. Do not bear false witness. Honor thy father, and thy mother.
21 And he said, All these have I kept from my youth up.
22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet thou lackest one thing; sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, follow me.
23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful; for he was very rich.
24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they who have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
25 For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
26 And they who heard, said unto him, Who then can be saved?
27 And he said unto them, It is impossible for them who trust in riches, to enter into the kingdom of God; but he who forsaketh the things which are of this world, it is possible with God, that he should enter in.
28 Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you. There is no man who has left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time; and in the world to come, life everlasting.

Again with forsaking the things which are of this world - which includes, apparently, our families.

JST Matthew 19
16 And, behold, one came and said, Good master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God; but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness.
19 Honor thy father and mother. And, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up; what lack I yet?
21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go, sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions.
23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily, I say unto you, that a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
25 When his disciples heard this, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
26 But Jesus beheld their thoughts, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but if they will forsake all things for my sake, with God whatsoever things I speak are possible.
27 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?
28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye who have followed me, shall, in the resurrection, when the Son of Man shall come sitting on the throne of his glory, ye shall also sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
29 And every one that has forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundred-fold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
30 But many of the first shall be last, and the last first.

Again with that forsaking all things thing, including families.

Notice how the requirements don't change - there is one standard for all.

JST Matthew 12
40 And while he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
41 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
42 But he answered and said unto the man that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
43 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
44 And he gave them charge concerning her, saying, I go my way, for my Father hath sent me. And whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

JST Mark 3
26 While he was yet with them, and while he was yet speaking, there came then some of his brethren, and his mother; and standing without, sent unto him, calling unto him.
27 And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
28 And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or who are my brethren?
29 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
30 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

JST Luke 8
19 Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not speak to him for the multitude.
20 And some who stood by, said unto him, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.
21 And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are those who hear the word of God, and do it.

Here's a cute dilemma.  There are some who say that they will not keep the commandments of God because their families would be harmed by their so doing.  Since they will not be the family of God because of disobedience - remember, the Lord is bound when you do what he says, and if you don't then you have no promise (D&C 82:10), and therefore can't be saved (LoF 6) - they will eternally lose their families by their disobedience that they claimed to hope to protect through their disobedience.  If you rebel to save your family in this world you lose your family; if you obey and lose your family in this world by so doing, you will be saved with as many of your family as will likewise obey.

JST Matthew 16
25 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me.
26 And now for a man to take up his cross, is to deny himself all ungodliness, and every worldly lust, and keep my commandments.
27 Break not my commandments for to save your lives; for whosoever will save his life in this world, shall lose it in the world to come.
28 And whosoever will lose his life in this world, for my sake, shall find it in the world to come.
29 Therefore, forsake the world, and save your souls; for what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

JST Mark 8
36 And when he had called the people, with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
37 For whosoever will save his life, shall lose it; or whosoever will save his life, shall be willing to lay it down for my sake; and if he is not willing to lay it down for my sake, he shall lose it.
38 But whosoever shall be willing to lose his life for my sake, and the gospel, the same shall save it.
39 For what shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
40 Therefore deny yourselves of these, and be not ashamed of me.
41 Whosoever shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him also shall the Son of Man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
42 And they shall not have part in that resurrection when he cometh.
43 For verily I say unto you, That he shall come; and he that layeth down his life for my sake and the gospel's, shall come with him, and shall be clothed with his glory in the cloud, on the right hand of the Son of Man.

JST Luke 9
23 And he said unto them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever will save his life, must be willing to lose it for my sake; and whosoever will be willing to lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
25 For what doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world, and yet he receive him not whom God hath ordained, and he lose his own soul, and he himself be a castaway?
26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, of him shall the Son of Man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own kingdom, clothed in the glory of his Father, with the holy angels.

Repeated three times.