Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Pleasing unto the Carnal Mind

Alma 30
52 And Korihor put forth his hand and wrote, saying: I know that I am dumb, for I cannot speak; and I know that nothing save it were the power of God could bring this upon me; yea, and I always knew that there was a God.

53 But behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true; and for this cause I withstood the truth, even until I have brought this great curse upon me.

That phrase - "carnal mind" - is interesting. How could Korihor know anything about the carnal mind, unless he had known the spiritual mind?

And the instruction he received of the devil, who appeared to him in the form of an angel, is also interesting. According to the account in Alma, Korihor spent his time following the directive of this false messenger in contention against what he deemed to be the false beliefs of the people.

This ought to give reason to ponder - how do you know which spirit is answering you, teaching you your "truthy" doctrines or your "resonating" insights, and giving you your directions? Can you tell the difference between a false messenger and a true one? Are you keeping all the commandments of Jesus to be able to discern the spirits which influence you? Or are you speaking things pleasing to the carnally minded, like the idea that one should contend against what one deems false beliefs? The carnal like to win, after all. Or maybe like keeping all the commandments of Jesus is either unnecessary, or impossible, or constitutes religious extremism? The carnal don't like the commandments, after all. Or maybe like "truthiness," "resonating," or "ringing true" are valid measures of truth? The carnal like effortless certitude and having their biases confirmed, after all.

The two general keys:

  1. He that hath the spirit of contention is not of me, saith the Lord, but is of the devil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.
  2. All things whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, do ye even so unto them, for this is the law and the prophets.