Sunday, March 6, 2016

How To Identify True Messengers From God

So, you want to be able to identify true messengers from God.  Well, there is a way.

First, we realize that messengers from God are servants of God - being a messenger is just a specific duty or service that God sometimes requests of certain competent servants.

Second, we revisit the Dunning-Krueger page on Wikipedia, and note that competence recognizes competence, while incompetence does not.

The money section:
Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:
  • fail to recognize their own lack of skill
  • fail to recognize the extent of their inadequacy
  • fail to recognize genuine skill in others
  • recognize and acknowledge their own lack of skill, after they are exposed to training for that skill
Dunning has since drawn an analogy – "the anosognosia of everyday life" – with a condition in which a person who experiences a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of, or denies the existence of, the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis: "If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent.… [T]he skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."
So the problem to be solved is how to gain the skills or capacities we need to produce right answers, so that we can recognize what a right answer is.  In this case, the solution is to get the Spirit of God so that we can discern the things which come from God.

And getting the Spirit of God is simply done.
  1. Believe in Jesus Christ
  2. Repent
  3. Keep the Commandments of Jesus
If these things are done, the promise is we shall always have his spirit to be with us.  If we do what God has asked, then we become competent at serving him.  A servant of God is simply someone who does what God asks of him.  A true servant of God is one who does all that God asks, not excusing himself in the slightest thing he has been asked to do.

Then we will have the capacity to recognize the signs of competence in true servants of God, and also recognize the signs of incompetence in wicked, slothful, unwise, evil, or false servants of God.

Anticipated Objections

Q: What if the price of identifying true servants of God is too high?  I don't know if I really believe in Jesus; my prayers seem to bounce off the ceiling and any answers I have ever gotten could simply have been my imagination; the commandments of Christ, taken literally, are foolish, and I don't want to keep them.

A: The price is the price.  If you want what you say you want, you'll pay the price.

Q: Can't I get the same product elsewhere cheaper?

A: The fact that you're here means the cheap imitations you tried haven't satisfied you.

Q: Are you saying that to recognize a true messenger I should be a true servant?

A: Why yes, yes I am.

Q: How do I know you're not trying to take advantage of me?

A: Being anonymous and not allowing comments means I have no idea who does what with anything I say, if anyone does anything with it at all.  I don't make money from doing what I do.  I don't get my ego gratified if anyone does what I say.

Q: How do I know you practice what you preach?

A: You don't.  That would be part of why you're reading this post.

Q: But what if I try all this stuff and it turns out unpleasant and I stop doing it because I don't like unpleasant things and feeling insecure and being taken advantage of by those who take me for a sucker and I have nothing to show for what I've done and I want to hurt you for telling me to do these things but I can't hurt you because you're anonymous and you don't allow comments, what then?

A: You haven't repented, so you're trying it because I seem credible, not because you believe Jesus asked it of you.  In effect, you're keeping my commandments, and not Jesus's.  If you don't believe the scriptures, where all this stuff comes from ultimately, then why do you care about recognizing true messengers?  If it's religion you want, and not true competence, there will be many willing to preach to you the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.

Q: How dare you, sir!  I'll have you know I am quite religious and believe in Jesus!  Nobody's perfect, nobody can keep all the commandments, everybody sins, you're false, and I bid you good day!

A: 0_o